Gone are the days when IT asset management and inventory were tracked manually through spreadsheets. Businesses nowadays have more assets to manage than ever. Particularly since the use of mobile devices has grown in the workplace. Software licenses are also more complex now since the entrance of the cloud, license-based and usage-based software. IT managers need to know which cloud service subscriptions are active, inactive, or suspended. This means in every department, and not only the IT department. Today however, IT asset management can be done much smarter. Using solid IT asset management software will help you save time and improve efficiency. This is important for businesses of all sizes. Here we explain the process and importance of IT asset management.
What is IT asset management?
It is vital for every organization to keep track of business assets. Through IT asset management (ITAM) companies can manage the inventory and lifecycle of their software. This involves maintenance data, user rights, budget allocation and software compliance. IT asset management software helps IT managers improve cost control, efficiently plan resources and let them follow IT value closely. This process helps to support critical decision making in an IT ecosystem.
Why do organizations need IT asset management software?
There are many advantages for organizations in acquiring IT asset management software systems. These advantages include:
• Effective management of assets. Being aware of the assets your company needs will help you to make informed decisions based on operational needs on a strategic level.
• Improved asset visibility throughout the entire organization.
• Making sure assets are utilized optimally. You will understand where your software is being used, including unused software. On top of this, you will also get an overview of who can and can’t access sensitive information, thus improving security.
• More control of software budget and reducing software costs
• Ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements. This helps you avoid fines by fulfilling legal and contractual commitments to be compliant with regulatory and audit requirements.
The main goal of ITAM is to use asset data to maximize returns, reduce exposure or threats (conforming to compliance regulations) and reach the highest potential business value continuously. It is vital not to acquire irrelevant assets and to make the most out of current resources.
Follow your assets and manage them actively
Obviously you want to make the most out of your investment in IT assets. Because if your IT assets are not working for you, they are definitely working against you. A detailed overview of assets is a must for every organization that wants to make effective use of every acquired software, be compliant and not over-licensed. Reach out to us if you need help when it comes to maximizing your software investment. Together we will find the ITAM solution that fits your needs best.